Thursday, September 11, 2008

remembering 9/11

Change of pace today.......

When you share a traumatic event with someone, your lives are tied together forever. Every time you think of that person, inevitably you think of that painful memory at the very same instant. Today, I am sure that a lot of people are thinking of that moment, seven years ago today, when the unthinkable happened.

September 11, 2001 started off as any other day for me at the time. I was working at my first job out of college, managing a small horse farm. (who knew you needed a college degree to shovel shit?) I was at the barn early that morning, doing my usual chores as well as getting a horse, Bentley, ready to show to a potential buyer. The first news of the attack that we received was from my assistant Robin's husband. That set off a flurry of calls to Alex (my boss), my parents, and friends. It was very hard for any of us at the barn to wrap our heads around what was happening. There we were, outside on one of the most beautiful days of the season, untouched. I don't think that I could fully comprehend what was happening until I got home and turned on the television. And watched. And cried. For hours.

Whenever I happen to think of Alex, or Robin, or dear sweet Bentley, my mind also goes back to that day that will always connect us. Hug your family extra tightly tonight. God bless.

No comments: