Tuesday, June 24, 2008

getting started

Let me start off by saying that I have never been a runner. I never even liked running. I thought it was boring. I thought it was too hard and not something that I could ever do. Well, that changed late last summer when I decided that I wanted to run a 5K on vacation. On vacation? What was I thinking? I started off doing the Couch to 5K training plan and ended up shocking myself by finishing my first (and only, so far) 5K in under 30 minutes!

After that race in October I took a few months off. I just wasn't committed enough to run through the winter in the cold and the dark. Once spring and daylight savings time hit, I was ready to get back on the road. I thought for sure that I would barely make it a 1/2 mile that first day out. I shocked myself once again for running about 2 miles without a problem.

I've kept at it and that brings me to where I am today. I'm training to run my first half-marathon later this year with my cousin. Hence the title of my blog - I am 31 years old and I'll be running 13.1 miles in November. I am following a modified version of Hal Higdon's half-marathon training plan. I say modified because the program is designed to train you in 12 weeks, but I have 20 weeks to play with. I am going to take it slow and probably repeat a few of the beginning weeks depending on how I feel.

I am so excited to be doing this! I hope to blog after each run to keep track of how it went and how I'm feeling. See you at the finish line!

No comments: